Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Fried Rice

Fried rice is a very versatile meal. It's cheap and easy. It's a great way to use up leftovers. It's also great for nights like tonight. You see, I am out of meat. I found a really great recipe for chicken to go with my bok choy, but it is a crock pot recipe. I didn't find it until 3:00 in the afternoon. We have places to be tonight. I decided to wait until morning to head to the store for chicken. That's what lead me to fried rice. It has protein without meat.

How to make fried rice:
  • Take one cup of uncooked rice and cook it. The thing I love about rice is that you can put one cup into the pot and it's more like 3-4 cups when it is done cooking. Rice is a very frugal food. I use organic brown rice. I have read conflicting information as to which rice is best for you. I've had no issues with the brown rice, so I'm sticking with it. Also, the rice can be cooked ahead of time and kept in the fridge for a quick throw together dinner.
  • Meanwhile, I take out my large stir fry skillet and heat about 2 Tbsp of coconut oil.
  • This is where you get creative and throw in whatever you have on hand. Tonight I will use about 1/2 of a chopped red onion, some green beans, and some green bell pepper (I think I have a half pepper to use up).
  • Add the cooked rice and mix well.
  • Then comes the fun part. Move everything off to the side and add 2-3 eggs. I usually beat them in a bowl first. You are going to kind of scramble the eggs a bit before mixing everything together.
  • Heat until warm. I usually do not completely cook the veggies.

It's also fun to throw in leftover chicken or turkey. If you eat pork, you could add that. I recommend you don't eat pork though. Don't believe me? Read up on it. I even used lamb one time. That was really good. Whatever you do, have fun with it. I don't think I've ever made fried rice the same way twice.

No comments: