Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Finally Successful Chocolate Chip Cookies

I have been having a horrible time trying to make chocolate chip cookies over the last year. I want to make them substituting better ingredients than processed sugar, shortening, etc. For some reason, this is the one recipe that I could never get to come out right. The cookies would end up running all over the pan. I could make them into bars, and it would taste good, but I just couldn't get the cookies to come out right. At Christmas time, I made a discovery about substituting coconut oil for butter. You have to use less. I've also learned the same about honey. When you substitute honey for sugar, you can usually get by with about half the amount. I finally got the nerve to try again. The dough is much stickier than what you might be used to, but the cookies came out perfectly. Here is what I came up with.

1.5 cups coconut oil
1 cup Sucanat (evaporated cane juice)
3/4 cup honey
2 tsp vanilla extract
1 tsp water
4 eggs
5 cups flour
2 tsp baking soda
2 cups chocolate chips

Mix the first six liquid ingredients, then add the flour and baking soda. Add chocolate chips last. Bake at 350F for anywhere from 8-14 minutes depending on oven, pan, etc. I bake on stone, so it takes a little longer, but comes out much better. I baked mine for 12 minutes.

No comments: