Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Worship Guitar

For a long time I have wanted to learn to play the guitar. My oldest son, who is gifted with music, had also expressed an interest. At $15 to $20 per hour, lessons are just not an option. When I received a copy of Jean Welles Worship Guitar Class to review, I was thrilled. The only challenge was finding a guitar to use for practice. Well, I loaded the kids, the DVD, and the book into the car to drive an hour to Grandpa’s house. However, Grandpa only has electric guitars. Electric guitars are great for some things, but for this music acoustic really works better. Though, it did give us a good chance to look over the program with my dad who is an avid guitar player. He was able to give me some good input. I found the program very easy to use and follow. Now, that doesn’t mean that it makes the guitar any easier to play. That only comes with practice. Between the book and the DVD, I was able to figure out the fingerings for at least the first couple chords. I was also able to help my 11 year old learn them as well. I was a little skeptical that one could learn from a DVD program as well as lessons, but it is definitely doable. I would recommend it as a valid option for anyone starting out, without wanting to spend a fortune on private lessons. My dad said that the lessons were very good and he would recommend it also.

I was only able to view Volume I, which is available for $24.95. If you are ready to jump in with both feet you can get the complete class with all four volumes and some bonuses for $99.95. There are even some bigger packages that include a guitar. You can view a sample of the first lesson here. This particular program is designed for people ages 9 and up. If you have a younger musician, they do have another program available for kids starting around age 5.

1 comment:

Wendy Hilton said...

I enjoyed visiting your blog. :) I just posted my worship guitar review, and I wanted to check out the reviews of some other Crew members to see how the rest of you liked the course.

Wendy
www.homeschoolblogger.com/ourcrewsship