Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Keyboarding for the Christian School


Keyboarding for the Christian School is a learn to type program by Leanne Beitel. I have to admit, when I first looked at this program I did not like it. Most learn to type programs you see now are all electronic, to immediately show errors and wpm scores. This program is all on paper with no bells and whistles. In fact, at first I did not even want to use it with my children. However, the more I looked at it and thought about it, the more this program makes sense. The lessons are laid out in a logical manner. Also, practically speaking when we type something in real life we generally do not copy it from an electronic format. If we are copying at all, it is going to be from a hard copy. Hence, learning to type from paper copy just makes sense. The beginning lessons, of course, are just typing letters starting with "F" and "J". The later lessons, however is where it gets interesting. The later lessons include copying Bible verses. There are also lessons on how to format the page using MS Word. They teach the proper layout for letters, reports, and some extra little formatting tools. I was really impressed with the overall quality of the program. The boys even enjoyed typing even though there were no cartoon characters involved. They just are just learning good quality typing skills. I might even suggest that the hubby use it. If you'd like to see some sample lessons, click here. The best part is that the program is a complete typing program for a very affordable $15.95. They also have an elementary version available for only $12.95. However, my first and fifth graders had no problem using the upper version either. So, either way you get a good product.

No comments: