Friday, September 25, 2009

Making My Home a Little Healthier

I am probably one of the pickiest eaters on the planet. It is not a big secret. I am always very up front with everyone I share a meal with that there are certain foods I just will not eat. On the other hand, I have many foods that I really love. Of course, not too many of them are on the good for your body list. I do know how important good nutrition is. I did study health and fitness in college, after all. However, having a head knowledge of something and applying it practically in my life are two very different things.



All of a sudden, that is changing. Well, maybe it's not all that sudden. I have been making an effort for a while to get my family to eat better. Then, I got the curriculum Nutrition 101: Choose Life. Like I said, I studied nutrition in college. But it was a very general, overall picture of foods that are good for you, foods that you should avoid, and the science of fats, proteins, and carbohydrates. This book is so much more than that.



Nutrition 101: Choose Life is broken up into six units. Each unit covers a system of the body. We started with the brain/nervous system. There are several chapters in each unit that break things down even further. It really goes into detail about how the system works, what nutrients are good for that system, and what to avoid. The information is incredible. It is really making me realize why good nutrition is so important. The boys love listening and learning even though some of the information gets a little too detailed for them. Next, we went to the digestive system. This was a great unit for my family. For those of you who don't know, my 6yo suffers from some digestive issues (severe constipation). Initially it was caused by diet, but we have been trying to correct that. This unit gave us even more information on how to do that.



I haven't even told you the best part yet. It is great to have all this information, but really, how practical is it to apply this to everyday life in busy households? How can I make these foods into a meal my family will eat? Every single chapter has a recipe to go with it. Did I mention how much I love to eat? We studied the countries of the world last year, and had to make a dinner from that country as we studied it. I was thrilled that we could do the same thing with this. I like that it is only one recipe though. We make the recipe and then combine it with something more familiar. That way, we get to try a little something new without being overwhelmed. Some of the recipes are guacamole for the brain, spice cookies for digestions, No Dairy No Chocolate "Chocolate" Pudding for respiration, and hummus for the joints. We are only to the second unit, but our favorite recipe so far are the spice cookies. They are loaded with high fiber foods that my 6yo desperately needs. I was afraid he wouldn't eat them. I told you I was a picky eater, but he's even worse. He loved the cookies. I think I am going to be making these cookies a lot.



The 448 page curriculum is available from Growing Healthy Homes in two formats. The book format is $99.95, and the CD is $79.95. Let me just say, it is worth every penny. I like having it on my computer, because then I can print out the recipes and not have to worry about the book getting spilled on in the kitchen. This is definitely a must have book, especially if you (like me) struggle with making healthy choices.



Visit the Growing Healthy Homes website for more information and ordering.



1 comment:

BeckyJoie said...

Great review-it's so interesting to read about other people's experiences and opinions of a curriculum we use too. :>)